Monday 23 January 2012

... Feels a little sad.

This week it was announced that Kodak have filed for bankruptcy cover (which basically means the poo has hit the fan.)  I'm never quite sure how I feel when a large company goes under. On one side I feel like its a great opportunity for smaller businesses to get themselves known and to get rid of the big corporation bullies.  But in this case it just seems sad that a 133-year-old company, which invented the hand held camera, can't keep itself going.  Its amazing how a few bad decisions can destroy so much.  They had the digital camera industry in their hands and they just didn't make the most of the opportunity.


Anyway enough of the sad ranting! I thought this would be a great chance to show off some of my vintage camera collection. I have been collecting them for a few years from charity shops and car boot sales, and I've always had a particular liking for Kodak Brownies and Instamatics. It seems that with the whole world going digital these little gems are being disregarded as plain old tat but I think they are beautiful!  The fact that these little wooden/plastic boxes would originally have been seen as the height of technology is just amazing.
I intend to use as much manual photography as possible in the next few months, maybe even with some of these cameras.  So here's to Kodak, may you some how pick yourselves up again and make George Eastman proud! (He chose the name Kodak because he liked the letter K. Its the little things that make me smile)


xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment